Here’s a quick update on something that really worked out last night – Chicken and Quinoa Burgers. I opened the fridge to find only a small portion of ground chicken, too little to make burgers, and I needed to come up with something to fill them up. Why not quinoa? I previously made quinoa patties, which were very tasty, so why not make this?
I’m a fan of quinoa, but I do admit it does get boring with endless tabboulehs and salads. Google quinoa salad and they all look the same. Frying them up in a schnitzel (or burger, if you will), gives it a great crunchy texture, not to mention a huge nutritional kick. By the way, I enjoy mixing yellow quinoa with black – it tastes the same, but so pretty!
We had these with sour cream and mustard as dips, plus a moist avocado, chopped tomato and baby greens salad. You do need some moisture to go with the schnitzels and that did a splendid job.
- 200g ground chicken (roughly ¾ cup)
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion (I used the sweet Vidalia onions which are in season now)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 tbs seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
- pinch of Cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper oil for frying
- Combine all schnitzel ingredients in a small bowl. Shape into ¾ inch height patties - dip your hands in a bit of water so that the mixture does not stick to your palms. Coat each schnitzel in breadcrumbs, then fry on medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Turn over only once.