Quick update from July. I’ve been enjoying making Indian dishes – spicy food is great for hot weather. Here are the things we’ve been eating:
Green Chili Dhal
- ½ cup red lentils
- ¼ small split yellow lentils (I used mung beans)
- 2½ cups water
- 1 tbs ginger pulp
- 1 tbs garlic pulp
- ¼ tbs turmeric
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- bit of salt
- For the tarka (topping)
- 2 tbs grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- ¼ tsp mustard and onion seeds
- 4 red Thai chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- To garnish
- fresh cilantro
- more green chilies..
- fresh mint
- Boil the lentils in the water with the ginger, garlic, turmeric and chopped green chilies for about 15 - 20 minutes, until soft.
- Mash the lentil mixture down. The consistency should be similar to creamy chicken soup.
- If the mixture looks too dry, add some more water. Season with the salt.
- To prepare the tarka, heat hte oil and fry the onion wiht the mustard and onion seeds, red chilies and sliced tomato for 2 minutes.
- Pour the tarka over the dhal and garnish.