I love this quick and delicious bbq season staple. The original recipe for Vietnamese Grilled Meat Skewers calls for ground pork. Ground turkey, or ground chicken thighs make a great and lighter substitute.
Vietnamese Grilled Meat Skewers
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 kg ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced into fine paste (use mortar and pestle)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 20 wooden skewers (soaked in water for 20 minutes)
- In a small bowl, add fish sauce, sugar and white pepper. Stir the mixture until sugar almost dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, add fish sauce mixture. Add garlic. Using your hands, knead the meat mixture until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a small bowl, add the water and baking powder. Stir the mixture, it will foam up. Pour baking powder mixture into the pork mixture. Knead the meat mixture until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add roasted rice powder to the mixture and knead the mixture until all it is well combined.
- Cover the meat mixture and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hour.
- Rub a very small amount of oil into the palm of your hands so that the meat does not stick to it. Form the sausage shape and put through the skewers. You can roll into balls if you like.
- Heat up a grill or bbq and cook. Turning the skewers over when they are golden brown.